hazare, the bespectatled gandhian in plain, white kurta, donning the traditional white cap on his forehead is indistinguishable from any ordianry villager until he introduces his mighty name. his USP is sinceritiy and lacks any political ambition
On the other hand is Baba Ramdev, the brash, outspoken n authorative firebrand yogi in a women's clothing. his war against black money landed him in a hospital only after a few days of fast.
but have these fasting guys have been to any use.
Over that they explain that they are going on the path showwed them my Gandhiji, the mighty paa of the nation. Mahatmaa Gandhi's fast went on for weeks and was not just a weekend affair.
Janata Dal (United) president Sharad Yadav on Thursday said fasts should not be used to press for popular demands for, the fasting personality would come to the forefront while core issues get relegated to the background.
For Indian urban middle class who have variety of foods, cuisine from all parts of the world, a vast list of snacks and numerous drinks, fasting is beyond conception or imagination or experience. If a person undertakes a fast, he becomes a hero for he does something that urban elites cannot do. Now, another guru Ramdev has scheduled indefinite fasting in the month of June. His agenda is also similar, to eradicate corruption and bring back Black Money stacked in various countries around the world. He has a noble desire to use that money equally allotted for each district in India. However, he is not clear how he would implement such mammoth plan, when the delivery apparatus, the Indian bureaucracy is corrupt.
1) Literacy: Over 30 per cent of Indian population is illiterate. An army of one crore volunteers can teach 10 people to read and write or become functionally literate. It may take three months. That means within three months the volunteers of Ramdev could make 10 crore (100 million) people literate. If they repeat it three times, 30 crore illiterate Indian could become literate within one year time. Instead of teaching yoga to villagers, Ramdev volunteers could make India literate nation. With literacy comes hygiene, awareness of rights and poor people cannot be cheated and they need not pay bribes.
2) Sex ratio: Let Ramdev advise and ask his one crore volunteers to take an oath against discrimination of girl child. They should decide not to do sex determination tests or abort girl child or commit infanticide of girl child. This would be a great service to our nation.
3) Dowry: Another social evil is dowry that batters young brides and many of them are burnt alive throughout the country. Let the volunteers of Ramdev take an oath not to receive or give dowry. It is a known fact that dowry transaction happens in cash which is mostly black money.
4) Tax evasion: India has the greatest number of tax evaders or search loop holes in the law and pay less tax. A good example is Sachin Tendulkar who claimed himself as ‘Actor’ instead of ‘cricketer’ and paid less tax. He saved Rs. 2 crore but the country lost Rs. 2 crore. Guru Ramdev could urge his huge followers to honestly, willingly and joyfully pay the taxes that is due.
) Political parties: Guru Ramdev could request his lawyer followers to file a case in the Supreme Court for making it mandatory for all registered political parties to have accounts that are audited every year. It should become a public document.
7) Public Distribution System: Tonnes of grains are rotting or burnt or eaten by rats in Food Corporation of India godowns. The storage facilities are insufficient or inadequate. The Government gives an excuse that it does not have facilities to distribute the grains as it is expensive to transport those grains to needy areas. Guru Ramdev could challenge his volunteers to take responsibility to transport these grains and distribute through PDS.